How to get married in Croatia

Getting married in Croatia legally is not a complicated procedure despite what it might look like at first sight.

If you’re considering a civil wedding ceremony, make sure you follow the requirements, submission deadlines and double-check with professionals whenever in doubt. Here’s a simplified legal procedure and paperwork guide for a civil wedding in Croatia, and if you have any questions or need support, get in touch at

Step 1:

Both bride and groom need to obtain these legal documents and provide them to the wedding planners, and we will submit them to the local registrar. List of documents:
a. Identification document – passport
b. Birth certificate (needs to be reissued no earlier than 90 days prior to wedding)
c. Certificate of single status or no impediment certificate (needs to be issued no earlier than 90 days prior to wedding date)
d. Based on the country of your residence, you might be required to submit additional documents – but no worries, we are here to help

Step 2:

The documents might need additional verification (proof of authenticity) – Apostille* stamp based on your residence.

Step 3:

Check with us are all documents correct, valid and accurate.

Step 4:

Send the documents to us. We will translate and submit them to the registrar’s office 30 days before your wedding and make arrangements for your interview and wedding date.

Step 5:

Attend a formal interview at the registrar’s office a few days before the wedding date to go through the details of the ceremony.

Step 6:

Get married

Step 7:

Receive your marriage certificate validated and posted by us.

Step 8:

Go to your local registrar’s office and submit your papers.

*An Apostille is a certification provided under the Hague Convention of 1961 for authenticating documents for use in foreign countries. The sole function is to certify the authenticity of the signature of the document. To put it simply, Apostille is a certificate attached to another document so that it will be accepted when used overseas. Usually issued at certified notary offices, county courts or foreign ministry affairs – but depends from country to country.